Dreaming of a new build or of upgrading your windows? How do you choose the right window materials? It’s a big investment and is integral to an MCM design and feel. Our Project House Austin window sponsor, Ply Gem, offers vinyl, aluminum-clad wood, aluminum and wood composite options.
“All our windows are made to order and can be configured to meet the specific energy performance requirements for all climate zones and local building requirements,” says Ply Gem’s Vice President of Marketing Steve Hoffins.
So, how do you choose the right window material for your home? Here are some tips to help you narrow down the perfect fit:
1. Climate. Choosing a material that can withstand the climate you live in is the first thing to take into consideration. “In the north, where a project might require wood, aluminum-clad windows are a great choice. These windows offer the traditional look many homeowners are looking for while offering the durability and performance of a more modern vinyl window,” says Hoffins. “Aluminum windows are still popular in some southern climates, where thermal performance is less of an issue, and they can also offer a good, low-cost alternative. And vinyl windows will help lower heating and cooling costs while keeping your home comfortable in any climate.”
2. Maintenance. Next, consider how much time and money you’re willing to put into maintaining your windows. If you’re looking for something low-maintenance, Ply Gem’s vinyl windows are your best option. “Premium vinyl resists deterioration, decay and damaging insect infestation,” Hoffins points out.
3. Durability. All of Ply Gem’s window materials are durable and long-lasting. “In addition to impact and wind resistance, today’s high-quality window materials are designed to resist damage from harsh weather, moisture and insects,” Hoffins explains.
4. Aesthetic. Of course, you want to make sure that the material you choose will fit with the aesthetic of your Mid Century Modern home. Thankfully, all of Ply Gem’s window materials can be used to achieve an MCM look. As Hoffins points out, “Our aluminum 4700 windows are featured in this project home. They provide narrow sight lines and are available in dark, contrasting colors such as bronze and black to achieve that authentic MCM style. Our 1500 Series vinyl product line (in the East) and our 200 Pro Series vinyl product line (in the West) both feature dark bronze and black exterior colors to achieve the trending, bold, contrasting exterior look, but they also have neutral white interiors that are typically desired on the interior.”
5. Price. Lastly, take your budget into account. However, make sure you’re prioritizing the function and energy efficiency of your windows before their cost.