Buy a sofa online sounds like a game of design roulette. Does it actually look as good in person? Are the photos true to the actual color? Most importantly—is it comfortable?
With the ever-increasing number on online retailers, the way we shop for furniture is forever changed. Whether you’re ready to take the plunge today or in the not-so-distant future, here is how to buy a sofa online without the sting of buyer’s remorse.
Tips to Buy a Sofa Online Successfully
- Read the reviews. It might seem like a simple concept, but the review section on a product or even the company’s Google reviews can give you great insight. Of course not everyone will be pleased with their experience and there will always be one reviewer that wanted their sofa to be a bright neon orange, so remember to take them with a grain of salt.
- Order the samples. Sometimes they’re free, sometimes you pay a few dollars or cover shipping. When you’re staring down the barrel of a $2,000 purchase, a few dollars at the front end is a good investment.
- Test your light. Really get to know the space that you’re looking to furnish. Is your living room exceptionally shadowy in the afternoon? That grey couch you’re considering might look dreary. Lay those samples out on your current sofa and keep an eye on them throughout the day. You’ll better understand your space and feel more confident in your selection.
- No return is a no-go. Most online retailers offer returns, so if your chosen retailer doesn’t—take pause. Unless you’re comfortable reselling a not-quite-right sofa on Craigslist, it might not be better to shop a different retailer.
- Take your time. Sales are meant to pressure you into buying now, but if you aren’t certain about what you need and want, don’t add that sofa to your cart. Instead, sign up for the company’s newsletter. Take your time deciding what is and isn’t right for you and then keep an eye out for the next deal.
Want even more mid century style in your day? Follow Atomic Ranch on Instagram!